Tuesday 5 August 2014

My Observations: Process


For my observations I used the method of a running record in which I tried to write as much detail as possible during the 30 minutes of observation that I was doing. Additionally I would take photos and sometimes video recordings of activity that I found interesting. When observing I tried to sit or be in a place in which I was able to observe the person without being in their way of their activity. At times, where I was sitting was helpful as I could see what was occurring, sometimes I did find that I had to reposition myself or follow the person to see clearly what was happening.

I did find that one time while observing the older child; it was only me and her in the room and so she would interact with me such as when she was explaining about her homework and making a house. In these situations I tried to make a minimal response such as just acknowledging her by nodding my head or saying yes or ok as I did not want to influence the observation too much. According to Feez (2010) Montessori teachers need to position themselves in a place where they will not interact, distract or disturb the children in any way. In relation to when I observed the adult the second time, I found that there was one time during the observation where there was more noise. Therefore, I had to get closer to hear her interactions with someone while also trying to not interrupt, which was a little harder than the previous observations.

Source: http://www.aspbi.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Business-Process-Management.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment